Materials for Planting Buckets of Daffodils
- 12 to 15 bulbs of different daffodil varieties (I used 'Sun Disc'. 'Pippit', 'Thalia' and 'Mount Hood')
- 4 galvanized buckets
- potting soil
- hammer and large nail
How to Plant Buckets of Daffodils
- Start by adding drainage to the buckets. Using a hammer and nail, punch holes in the bottom of the bucket.
- Fill the buckets with soil, about three-quarters full.
- Place the bulbs, pointed end up, in the bucket and cover with soil.
- Daffodils need a period of chilling before they will bloom. Keep the buckets outdoors for approximately 15 weeks. If it gets seriously cold in your area they will benefit from some protection. Cover with leaves or mulch or place in an unheated storage area.
- Check the soil periodically and water if dry.
- When shoots begin to emerge move the buckets to a bright, cool location.